Recommendations for Care After Hardwood Floors are Newly Finished:
- Please wait a minimum of 8 hours before walking on floors with stocking feet and 24 hours for shoes. This time may vary depending on the type of finish chosen. Please verify with our office staff.
- Allow 48 hours for furniture and pets.
- Do NOT use water for one week.
- Allow 1 -2 weeks before placing carpets or other area rugs.
- Use a humidifier in conjunction with a furnace or air conditioning system to maintain relative humidity in the home at 30-50%. This will maintain the moisture in the wood and minimize cracks between the boards.
- Have your floors buffed and recoated every 2 to 3 years in high traffic areas and 3 to 5 years in areas of lower traffic.
- Use dirt-trapping, walk-off mats at all exterior doors to help prevent dirt, grit and sand from getting inside on your floors. Throw rugs or small area rugs just inside the entrances are also helpful.
- We recommend putting small Berber carpet or felt pads on the legs of all your furniture. Clean the glides periodically so grit does not get caught on them and replace as needed.
- Barrel type roller casters are better than ball casters which will cause damage. Avoid plastic casters.
- We recommend soft rubber replacement casters from http://www.castercity.com.
- Wipe up spills immediately with a damp cloth.
- Keep high heels in good repair. Heels that have worn down or lost protective caps, exposing the steel support rod in the heel can dent any floor surface.
- Vacuum regularly using a brush attachment. Dust mopping works well, but DO NOT use a household dust treatment on your mop as this may cause your floor to become slick or dull the finish. It can also leave a film that can impair bonding of future recoats.
- If you wish to damp wipe your floors, we recommend that you use Glitsa Clean Hardwood cleaner available at our showroom in Loveland, CO.
- DO NOT use wax, Orange Glow®, Murphy® Oil Soap, Endust®, Pledge®, etc. on the floors.